1891-1897

Malet with Bldrs. Grover & Willett

Architects: Macartney & Faulkner

Length Closure Ratio (B): 1 to 2.8

Width Closure Ratio (B): 1 to 2.5

Green: 55 ft. x 55 ft. (16.8 x 16.8 m)

Ratio Width to Length (Face to Face): 1 to 1.1

Face to Face: Width: 150 ft. (45.7 m)

Face to Face: Length: 170 ft. (51.8 m)

Height A: 55 ft. (16.8 m)

Height B: 60 ft. (18.3 m)

Egerton Place

Nearly fifty years after the start of Egerton Crescent, the zone immediately north of the Crescent and south of the tightly packed Yeoman’s Row was developed by a syndicate of owners, some of whom lived in the area. A retired British Colonel, Harold Malet, helped form the Estates Improvement Company, and requested the London C ounty Council grant approval for an excessively tight and petite crescent. Today, we would call this a pocket park, and it is worth visiting because it is not a successful example.

Malet induced John Grover to build the first seven attached houses on the west side to the design of Sir Mervyn Macartney. Macartney designed four main stories over the basement level, finishing them with expensive two inch orange and red bricks popular at the time. In 1894, Malet switched to William Willett as builder for the remaining six houses. Willett employed an architect within his firm, Amos Faulkner, but Faulkner’s design for the eastern section destroyed the unity of the small overall ensemble. It is worth remembering that when the focal space is small, great attention must be given to creating strong design unity, which may be achieved with or without strict uniformity

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: