1831 to c 1848

Thomas Cubitt

Length Closure Ratio (B): 1 to 1

Width Closure Ratio (B): 1 to 4.5

Green: 105 ft. x 258 ft. (32 x 78.6 m)

Ratio Width to Length (Face to Face): 1 to 2

Face to Face: Width: 270 ft. (82.3 m)

Face to Face: Length: 549 ft. (167.3 m)

Height A: 58 ft. (17.7 m)

Height B: 60 ft. (18.3 m)

Chesham Place (Cubitt)

In a sense, Chesham Place is the residual space formed by Thomas Cubit and Cundy resolving the network of streets from adjoining the adjoining Cadogan and Lowndes Estate. Thomas Cubbit’s own development shown on the left (click to enlarge it) illustrates the difficulty of transitioning into Pont Street that already existed to the west, Lowndes Street which led to Lowndes Square to the north, and Cubitt’s famous Belgrave Square immediately east. Chesham Place, a triangular “square,” was the result.

Chesham Place

 Cubitt began Chesham Place in the early 1830s, naming it for William Lowndes of Chesham. The triangular space provides terminating vistas for both Lowndes Street from the north as well as the approach from Belgrave Square from the east. Dwellings 29-37 were not built until the 1840s, and the building on plots 30 and 31 were combined in 1852 for the Russian ambassador.    

 On the south side Nos. 29-37 were built by Cubitt in the 1840s. Nos. 30-31 were knocked together by Cubitt in 1852 and given a separate entrance at the back, to form a single residence for the Russian Ambassador of the time. Lady Margaret Thatcher maintained her office here after serving as Prime Minister.

 Like many other residential squares in the vicinity, commercial and embassy interests have removed some of the original fabric. Germany hired the Munich firm of Betz to design its new embassy across from the park.

 The overall dimension are good, though enclosure falls apart when viewed from the southern line looking to the wide expanse at the apex. In a less confused street network, a triangular “square” of this size could be a fine solution.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: